What is VirtualBox? 4 Benefits You Must Know
Virtual machines have become increasingly popular in recent years, across a variety of different industries and use cases. They allow users to run a secondary operating system on top of their primary OS, simultaneously using both at the same time. VirtualBox is an open-source virtualization software product that can be installed on Windows, Mac, Linux, or Solaris computers.
In this article, we will walk you through everything you need to know about VirtualBox and its benefits.
What is VirtualBox?
VirtualBox is a virtualization software product that allows users to run a second operating system on top of their existing OS. Generally, the second OS is installed on a virtual machine – an isolated virtual computer created within a host computer.
Virtual machines allow users to run two operating systems at once, which can be useful for a variety of different things. For example, you could use one VM for work and one for gaming, so you don’t have to close out one to use the other.
You can also use VMs to test out new versions of operating systems before upgrading to see if they will interfere with your current setup. You can also use a VM to test out new software or game patches before installing them on your main OS. Not only can VMs be used for work-related tasks, but they can also be used for gaming and entertainment.
How to Download and Install VirtualBox?
- Before you set up a virtual machine, you will need to install VirtualBox. First, find the version of the program that corresponds with your operating system – VirtualBox is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Solaris computers.
- If you are running a Windows computer, head to the “Download” section of the VirtualBox website and click on “Download” next to the “VirtualBox” heading. This will take you to the Microsoft VirtualBox download page, where you can click “Download” to download the Windows version of the program.
- Those with a Mac can download the latest version of VirtualBox from the “Downloads” section of the official website. You can either download the file directly or go to the “VirtualBox for Mac” section to get it from there. Once downloaded, click “Open” to start the installation.
- To download VirtualBox for a Linux computer, head to the “Download” section of the website and click “Download the Latest Version” under the “VirtualBox” heading. To download the program to a Solaris computer, click “VirtualBox (SPARC)” under the “Download” section. You should then click “Download” to begin downloading the software.
- When the download is complete, click “Install” to begin installing the software.
- Follow any on-screen instructions, and once installed, click “Start” to begin using VirtualBox.
Benefits of VirtualBox
VirtualBox is a very popular virtualization platform, which allows you to create your virtual machines. Here are some of the benefits of VirtualBox:
1. Easy to set up
VirtualBox is a free, open-source application that allows you to create virtual machines. It’s easy to set up and use, so you can spend less time setting up everything and more time using your computer or laptop.
2. Low resource consumption
VirtualBox is specifically designed to be used on servers with low resource consumption, such as Raspberry Pi. This means that you can use VirtualBox without worrying about the impact it will have on your computer.
With VirtualBox, you can run any operating system in a portable format, meaning that you don’t have to install it onto your hard drive after every use. This means that you can easily take your virtual machine with you wherever you go without having to worry about installing anything extra onto your computer or laptop at home or work.
4. Easy storage
VirtualBox allows you to save your virtual machine data onto an external hard drive or even a USB flash drive so that it is easy to access when needed. This means that if something happens to your virtual machine in the future – like a virus infection or loss of data then there isn’t any risk of losing all of your data due
VirtualBox is a great, safe solution for running multiple operating systems simultaneously. There’s so much you can do with the application. Check out VirtualBox for more details on how this powerful application works.