The Differences Between A Website And A Web App
The difference between a website and a web application (web app) can be confusing because both terms refer to the same thing: an application that runs in a web browser. However, they are used differently depending on the situation.
What is a Website?
A website is a collection of pages and content that can be accessed through the internet. It is also referred to as World Wide Web. The location of the server where the website is hosted does not matter, however it should be accessible from anywhere in the world.
What is a Web Application?
A web application is a computer program that can be accessed through the internet and it has a user interface. You need to download the web application on your computer to use them. A good example of a web application would be Facebook, Twitter or Gmail, etc.
A web application is similar to a website but more comprehensive. It can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection and allows users to perform certain actions like booking tickets or booking hotels. Websites allow people to interact with information while web apps let them perform actions such as shopping or banking services on any device.
Website is only accessed through a browser, while web apps can be accessed through different clients like desktop applications (native apps) or mobile applications (native apps).
Characteristics Of A Website
The following are the characteristics of a website:
1. It has a unique name, which is easy to remember and type in search engines
2. It has an address where it can be found (URL)
3. It consists of different pages with content, images or videos, etc.
4. It offers some kind of information that is useful for its visitors – like products, services, or knowledge about something interesting (article, blog post, etc.)
5. There are links between different pages so that you can easily navigate through the website without having to go back to the home page constantly (breadcrumbs help with this as well).
6. There are different ways for people to interact with each other – comments sections etc., but also social media buttons like Facebook Like button or Twitter share
Characteristics Of A Web App
1. It is client-server based
2. It needs an internet connection
3. It is accessible from anywhere in the world
4. It relies on an operating system or a browser (like Google Chrome) for its execution
5. It has a GUI interface for user can interaction, input and output mechanism
6. It runs on servers in a network environment with multiple users accessing them simultaneously
7. They have limited resources that be shared among users
8. Web applications are usually stateless
Advantages of A website
Visibility – A website gives you a platform to promote your product or service to millions of people globally. With the right marketing strategy, you can easily drive traffic to your site from search engines such as Google, Yahoo!, and Bing.
Customer Service – Visitors can easily find answers to their questions on your website. In addition, they can contact you via email or phone number if they need additional assistance with their purchase. This provides better customer service than other methods such as mailing brochures or printing catalogs for each visitor who visits your store in person.
SEO – Search engine optimization (SEO) refers to any action taken by webmasters and content providers that affects how search engines rank their pages in search results pages (SERPs). For example, adding relevant keywords/phrases on a webpage o
Cheap. You can start with a basic website for as little as $50 per year. You can even create your site using free software if you want to save money.
It is easy to update. Your website is always available, so you can change it whenever you like. If there is something new in your business, you can add it to your site immediately instead of waiting for a magazine or newspaper to publish an article about it.
You have complete control over what is on the site and how it looks. If you don’t like the way something looks or works, change it! If there is, something missing from the site that visitors might want to know about, add it! You are in charge!
Advantages Of A Web App
1. Easy to use: The user interface of web applications is simple and easy to understand. It does not require any special training for using it.
2. No installation required: You don’t need to install the software on the computer to use the web application because it runs on a web server that is accessible from anywhere in the world through an internet connection.
4. Easy to use. Web apps are designed for easy navigation. The user interface is usually simple and intuitive, so it is easy for users to learn how to use the app.
5. Portability. Users can access web applications from anywhere as long as they have internet access. This means they don’t need to rely on a desktop computer or laptop — they can use their mobile devices to access web applications too.
6. Security. Web applications are often more secure than native applications because they are hosted in a data center rather than installed on a user’s machine. This means there’s less risk of viruses or other malware problems affecting your application or data, which can be costly and time-consuming to fix if it happens with a native app.
The basic difference between a website and a web app is that a website displays your content in a browser, while a web app behaves more like an application. The functionality of a web app can span across multiple websites and devices. A web app can synchronize data in real-time with other portable devices, as well as store its data locally without accessing the internet or an in-house database that is maintained on the web host.
You can also read: What is Application Software