Guide on How to Reset Gmail Password
If you forget your password for a Gmail account, you have several options for regaining access to it. The most common issue is a forgotten password – sometimes it’s hard to remember all those passwords and you may simply forget your Gmail account password. If this happens, do not worry! You can always reset your account password with ease by following simple steps.
If you forgot your password, you could reset it through the Gmail app on your Android phone or tablet, or by visiting Gmail reset on a computer.
Steps to Reset Gmail Password
On your Smartphone device;
- Open the Gmail app.
- In the top right, tap your profile picture.
- Tap Manage accounts on this device.
- Choose your account.
- Tap Forgot password?
- Enter your recovery email address or phone number and tap Next > Check email or Check phone > Next.
- Enter sent OTP (One Time Password) on your mobile phone or recovery e-mail address.
- Enter a new strong password and confirm the new password.
- You are ready to continue to Gmail.
If you have an Android device with a fingerprint sensor: You’ll receive an email with a link to reset your password, but you may be asked to first verify your identity with a fingerprint scan.
If you don’t get the email after 15 minutes, check your spam folder and ensure that the message wasn’t sent to any of your folders in Gmail (including Spam).
If you still don’t see the message, try again from https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery using a different browser, computer, or mobile device. If prompted for access from less secure apps, click Turn on for this app (Gmail).
Try other troubleshooting options.
If you’re unable to reset your Gmail password successfully, try other troubleshooting options.
You can reset your password and set up a new one in only a few simple steps, as long as you have access to your phone number or secondary email address.
On the login screen, tap Need help?
- Select ‘I don’t know my password’ from the dropdown menu.
- Enter the email address you use to sign in to Google. Tap Continue.
- If you don’t remember this, try some other email addresses you may have used.
- Tap ‘Try another way.
- Enter the last password you remember using with this account. Tap Try another way.
If you don’t remember the password and didn’t save it anywhere, try resetting your password on a different computer or device (for example, if you’ve always signed in at work on your computer but need to access your account from home). If that doesn’t work, follow the instructions below.
Recovery option 2
1. Go to https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery?hl=en&service=mail.
2. Enter your email address or phone number and click on next.
3. Then enter the last password you remember and click on Next.
4. A list of recovery options will appear, choose a Recovery Email Address or Recovery Phone Number.
5. A verification code will be sent to your Recovery Email Address or Recovery Phone Number.
6. Enter that code in the provided box and click on Next.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password and regain access to your account.
8. If you did not receive a confirmation code, tap on didn’t.
Recovery Option 3
Follow the on-screen instructions.
1. Go to the Gmail password recovery page.
2. Enter your Gmail address and click Continue.
3. Select I don’t know my password, then click Continue.
4. Enter the last password you remember and click Continue.
5. Answer your security question and click Continue. For example, if you set up your security question as “What’s your favorite color?” and answered “Blue,” enter blue. If you didn’t set up a security question, enter any password you think might work. (You won’t be able to change your password if the one you entered isn’t correct.)
6. Create a new password and click Change Password.
NOTE: If you completely forget your Gmail username and password and are unable to access the backup options, then you will need to create a new Gmail account.
Recommended Reading: How to Sign up for Gmail Account Step by Step
How to Change Gmail Password
- Go to the Gmail website.
- Sign in with your current Gmail email and password.
- In the top right, click the gear. Click settings, see all settings.
- Click on accounts and import in the Menu.
- Under change account settings, click Change Password. You may need to sign in.
- Enter your new password, and then select Change Password.
- Try signing in to Gmail with your new password if you’re having trouble signing in or accessing your account.
Hopefully, you are now able to reset your password and login into your Gmail account again. If you can’t get back in and feel like you’ve tried everything, we recommend contacting Google support directly.