Advantages and Disadvantages of Google Cloud Platform
Google cloud platform is a suite of public cloud computing services offered by Google. The platform includes a range of hosted services for compute, storage and application development that run on Google hardware.
Google Cloud Platform services can be accessed by software developers, cloud administrators and other enterprises IT professionals over the public internet or through a dedicated network connection.
Below are the advantages and disadvantages of Google Cloud Platform;
Advantages of Google Cloud Platform
Compute engine provides Iaas (Infrastructure as a service) that allows businesses to run workloads on virtual machines within the Google data centers. The platform supports both Linux and Windows server operating systems. The virtual machine instances can be pre-configured with one or more of these operating systems in addition to other software applications.
Storage options include persistent disks and SSDs. Persistent disks are block-level storage volumes hosted on virtual machines instances while SSDs provide temporary storage that is not meant for critical data. Cloud storage offers object-level storage through a RESTful API and can store unstructured data such as photos, videos and audio. Bigtable is a NoSQL database.
- Ease of use
Google Cloud Platform is designed to make it easy for any developer to get started quickly with their products. The steps for creating an account and developing through the console are intuitive and simple. This saves you time and money as you build your cloud solution.
- Flexibility and freedom
The main advantage of the Google cloud platform is that users have complete freedom to choose which services they will use, and when they will use them. This means that developers can take advantage of all the features offered by Google Cloud and use them in their own time, without forcing or requiring users to move to the Google Cloud Platform.
- Easy integration with other Google services
Google Cloud is closely integrated with other Google products such as Gmail or G Suite, which allows users to easily integrate their applications with other existing applications, thus optimizing work and reducing time investment.
- Extremely user friendly
The modular architecture of Google Cloud makes it extremely easy for developers to migrate applications from one provider to another. This means that developers can create their applications using Google Cloud, even if these applications are designed to operate on another cloud platform. In addition, the scalability offered by GCP allows users to easily adjust the capacity of each application according to their needs, making it easier for teams to work together on a single project, regardless of geographical location.
- A profitable investment
Given that most companies are already using at least one of Google’s products or services (such as Gmail), many of them will find it very easy to switch from.
Google Cloud Platform takes security seriously, allowing you to focus on what’s important to you without worrying about your data being compromised. With innovative security technology like Threat Analysis Group, advanced access management protocols, industry-leading encryption technology and more, GCP is one of the safest places for your data on the internet today.
- The Google Cloud Platform (GCP) offers a set of modular cloud-based services that allow you to create anything from simple websites to complex applications.
- The cloud platform provides many different ways for you to deploy your app in real-time without having to wait for an IT team or software vendor. You can deploy directly from source code using just one command-line tool.
- The platform is a good fit for companies that want to build applications using Google-managed services and infrastructure.
- Pricing on the Google Cloud Platform is based on pay-as-you-go principles. You choose the services you use and pay only for what you need.
Read also about; Google Cloud Platform: What You Need To Know
Disadvantages of Google Cloud Platform
There are also disadvantages of Google cloud platform which include;
1. Data Transfer is not free. Google cloud platform doesn’t provide free data transfer like AWS. If you want to transfer your data from one zone to another zone, then it will cost you a good amount of money.
2. In the absence of a network connection, it is not possible to access the services.
3. As compared to the other cloud service providers, Google has less number of regions and zones across the globe.
4. Sometimes it doesn’t provide easy access to the services in certain locations due to low speed or poor network coverage.
5. Security is not up-to-the-mark as compared to the other cloud service providers such as AWS, IBM, etc.
6. Its cost can be higher than the other cloud service provider if you have a tight budget for your business and need more resources for your business application or website
Google cloud indeed is one of the best cloud services providers in the industry. They are always committed to providing reliable services so that people can easily use whatever they like.
These were some of the advantages and disadvantages of Google Cloud Platform. I hope this article has been helpful.
Read also about; Top 10 Best Cloud Storage in 2022